Although diverse, they do have one thing in common. Whether you call it a playbook, routine, blueprint, program, or set list, the commonality is a clear plan to help people and things move or function to the best of their abilities.
- An NFL team, attempting to move the ball down the field without a single play.
- Dancers, stumbling all over one another because of a lack of choreography.
- Builders, randomly piecing together a house or bridge without blueprints or structural drawings.
- A stadium concert, where each member of the band begins playing a different song because they don’t have a set list.
We instinctively know these efforts will lead to chaos and failure.
At this point, we need to ask ourselves an important question: If the above examples will result in failure and chaos, what will happen to our lives if we don’t have clear routines in place to help us be at our best?
Why you need a morning routine
If your life feels out of sync, or if there are things you would love to do but can’t find the time, then you probably need a morning routine.
Here’s why: The beginning of your day is highly valuable because it sets the tone for the remaining hours. If you read and apply what follows, you will be equipped with the knowledge and tools to create an incredible morning routine which will be so beneficial, you’ll wonder how you ever lived without it!
Without a clear script for the morning, you will…
- Continue to feel rushed and stressed
- Miss out on things you actually want and settle instead for the whims and urgencies of the day.
- Trade your dreams and priorities for things that will not matter long-term.
What most people do is settle into a vague morning routine. Worse yet, they default to wasting precious time consuming mindless television or social media rabbit holes while going through the motions of getting out the door.
It’s no wonder they can’t find time to do things they actually want to do. You, however, are going to be different!
Oh the possibilities!
Imagine creating a simple routine you could follow every morning. YOU get to decide exactly how to spend the most important part of your day. Now that you are in charge of the morning, each day will begin with awesome sauce!
Imagine getting in the best shape of your life because your morning now includes 30 minutes of exercise. Before, you rarely exercised, but now you are being active for at least three and a half hours every week – automatically. You feel more energetic, focused, and confident than you’ve felt in a long time!
Envision yourself reading more books, or writing a book, or publishing an article, or even starting a business, all because you are going to take action after reading this article and create a compelling plan for your morning.
How much would your relationships improve if you wrote one letter or made one phone call each day?
Imagine how much you could lower stress and anxiety by including five minutes of journaling or meditating in the morning.
The benefits of a well designed morning routine are seemingly endless!
Let’s not waste another morning. Instead, it’s time to create the ideal script to begin each day. You are only four steps away.
Four steps to your ideal morning
Step One: Design the finish line
The best designers begin at the finish line. Ask yourself…
- What are the results I want from the ideal morning?
- What improvements do I want to make?
- What struggles would I like to overcome?
- What do I enjoy, but can’t seem to find time to actually enjoy it?
Please take a few minutes, right now, and record the outcomes of your ideal morning routine.
Step Two: Map the way
Look at your desired outcomes above and map the way to the finish line. For example, if you want to improve your communication skills, schedule 5-10 minutes to read aloud.
Please do yourself a favor and start small with everything. If you want better relationships and currently write zero letters, don’t begin by trying to write five letters a day. Set yourself up for small, quick wins and build from there.
Step Three: Calculate the time
What time would you like to finish? How much time will each part of your routine take? Subtract the total estimated time from your finish time and you’ll know when to begin.
If it would help, feel free to use my Morning Routine Generator, which will do this automatically for you.
Step Four: Enjoy your routine!
You have taken the guesswork out of waking up. You now open your eyes with excellent decisions already made for you, by you. Enjoy your new routine and please remember: like most things, this will take some practice. You will not always align perfectly with your routine. This is okay. Make adjustments as necessary and enjoy the process.
Morning Routine Toolkit
If you need some ideas and tools to get started, you are welcome to the FREE Morning Routine Toolkit, which I created to make it easy for you to take action on this.
The toolkit includes the following four tools:
- Morning Routine Generator, which will figure out the times automatically for you.
- Morning Coach, a customizable presentation with countdown timers. I use it on my phone, and it helps me stay on track.
- Morning Routine Ideas. If you’re looking for some inspiration, this contains 17 great ideas to start the day right.
- Visual Morning, a customizable document to help you easily visualize and remember your routine.
Morning Routine Generator (for Numbers and Excel)
Morning Coach (for Keynote and Powerpoint)
Morning Routine Ideas (PDF)
Visual Morning (for Pages and Word)
To our best tomorrow,